Your child’s main occupation is playing and learning!
Occupational Therapy is the art and science of using meaningful activities to develop, remediate, and maintain the daily living, engagement, and play skills of children with physical or learning difficulties. Occupational Therapy focuses on teaching skills required for a task whilst adapting to the environment and modifying the task. Caregivers’ education is provided to increase participation and independence of your child.
Who needs Occupational Therapy?
If your child is frequently unsuccessful in completing a task or having problems at school learning new concepts and retaining information, OT may be helpful. Children who need OT usually display more than one of the following characteristics:
- Overly sensitive or under-reactive to touch, movement, sights or sounds (e.g. walks on toes; does not like sounds of hairdryer/ vacuum cleaner)
- Easily distracted/ poor attention
- Inability to "unwind" or calm down self (self-regulation)
- Social/ Emotional problems (e.g. anger management issues)
- Clumsy or uncoordinated
- Oral sensitivity (e.g. does not tolerate teeth being brushed; picky eater)
- Low muscle tone (e.g. slouching when seated)
Our Occupational Therapy Approach
HeadStart for Life’s Occupational Therapy programmes are focused on helping children with physical, sensory, or cognitive disabilities to be as independent as possible in all areas of their lives. Our Occupational Therapy programmes include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting functional skills for children with developmental disabilities
- Facilitating developmental play skills for your child
- Improving your child’s fine motor and eye-hand coordination skills
- Improving your child’s sensory processing skills such as organisation, self-regulation, and behavioral state
- Improving your child’s visual motor and visual perceptual skills such as writing and colouring
- Addressing your child’s psychosocial needs and equipping him or her with effective coping strategies
Click here to learn more about our therapists.